Moving to the home of your dreams
After having read the first 3 steps of our guide to buy a house in Orlando “ready to buy“, “looking for the home of your dreams” and “buying the house of your dreams” we continue with the last step “moving to the home of your dreams”.
You already have the keys to your house or soon you will have them, now is the time to prepare your move and all that this entails.
Tips for before the move
Even if you have the keys in your possession, unless you have bought a new home, you will want to make some adjustments to the house to decorate it to your liking. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Change the front doors locks. For your safety, it is recommended that before inhabiting the house you change all the locks that connect to the exterior of the house, since you do not know how many copies of the keys are loose around there. In case it is a smart house, we suggest you reset all the settings.
- Verify that all services are operational. Don’t wait until move-in day to verify that everything is working properly. Check that everything works correctly, electricity, water, gas, refrigeration, heating, waste management, etc.
- Do a deep clean. Clean all corners of the house, bathrooms, kitchens, cabinets, closets, etc. If you have rugs, it is advisable to clean them with steam, since you do not have knowledge of the use they gave it. If you want to paint it, it is better to do it before the move.
- Prioritize on repairs. As in any house that has been previously used, it may require some repairs or you may want to make changes to decorate it. After the inspection made before the purchase, you already have knowledge of the main repairs that the house needs. You will have a lot of time to decorate the house to your liking, so it is important that before the move you give priority to the most important repairs.
- Connect the Internet and TV. No one likes to move out and get disconnected. Schedule a week or two before your move to install Internet and TV services.
- Update your address. Be sure to update your address with all entities such as banks, subscriptions, etc. to avoid future problems.
- Identify the water valve and fuse box. If at any time you have an electrical or water problem, you don’t want to be looking everywhere to cut the electricity or turn off the water. Therefore, it is good to know the exact location from before you move in.
Coordinating your moving
While you are getting your house set so it is ready to move in, you can coordinate all the aspects related to the move. We will focus on 3 possible scenarios:
- You already live in Orlando and need a local move.
- You live in the United States, but outside Orlando and you need a national moving company.
- You live in a country other than the United States and need international moving services.
If you already live in Orlando, you have two options, make the move on your own or hire a local moving company. If your priority is the budget, we suggest you pack very carefully all your belongings and rent a truck. You can ask friends or family for help to do all the loading and unloading.
Now, if your priority is that everything be packaged and assembled in a professional manner and not have any type of stress during this process, we recommend hiring a moving company in Orlando. At Orlando Homes Sales we recommend our friends and allies Orlando International Moving, a company with highly qualified professionals.
In relation to a national moving, depending on the amount of belongings and the distance, you can also rent a truck and carry out the move yourself, although you should be aware that the wear will be even greater and that you will have to do everything on your own. Unless you are traveling with people who help you or you know someone in Orlando to help you with the unload. In case you want to avoid stress and minimize risks, your best option would be to hire a national moving company and travel with your family separately.
Finally, if you live outside the country, the process will be much more detailed, since you not only need an international removal company, but also manage the entire legal and customs process to enter the country with your belongings.
After the move
You are already at home, perhaps making the last adjustments so that it is to your liking and organizing all your belongings. If it is the first time that you buy a house, you should bear in mind that the responsibility is much greater than when you rent. When you pay rent and you have some damage, in most cases you call so they can solve your problem. When you have your own house, no one will solve your problem, so we recommend that you be prepared for any unexpected case, that you have some savings available for any unforeseen situation that arises.
With this we end our guide to buying a house in Orlando. Contact us if you need any type of advice, we will be happy to help you.